Staff Development funds provide opportunities for professional development, career advancement, and personal growth.
- Funding amounts are established each fiscal year.
- Funding will be split equally between the first and second half of the fiscal year. Any remaining funds from the first half of the fiscal year will carry over into the second half of the fiscal year.
- A per-person cap will be set at the start of each fiscal year, based on total funding allotted.
- Requests will be reviewed and approved until funding is depleted.
- Information regarding funding amounts will be communicated annually to College staff and Leadership Team members.
Criteria for Approving Staff Development Funds:
- Funds must be available.
- The request must align with one of the following categories:
Supervisor supports the request.An Individual Development Plan (IDP) is on file with the Human Resources Office.The funds requested should relate to the goals and objectives identified within the IDP.The request may not conflict with any Saint Paul College, Minnesota State, federal or other applicable policies or regulations.Funds may be used for a one-time association fee or initial membership fee, but will not be provided for recurring membership fees.
- Professional development
Examples include: build knowledge, improve job performance and productivity, enhance skills, career advancement, etc.
- Personal growth
Examples include: interpersonal communication, organizational skills, conflict resolution, improving team dynamics, etc.
- Academic pursuit
Examples include: career advancement, leadership skill building, lifelong learning, degree completion, etc.
Process for Requesting Staff Development Funds:
- Complete the “Application for Staff Development Funds” form, available on the College’s intranet site.
- Supervisor signature is required on the “Application for Staff Development Funds” form.
- Provide documentation describing the activity and objective for participating in the activity. Some examples of documentation requested include:
Completed forms (with supervisor signature) and all documentation are to be submitted to the Human Resources office.Request forms and documentation should be submitted a minimum of four (4) weeks prior to the start of the activity.Urgent or unexpected opportunities may be reviewed outside of the established process. These types of requests should be the exception and may not be approved.An established Staff Development Committee will meet monthly to review submitted requests. Some considerations when reviewing:
- Conferences: copy of agenda
- Credit/non-credit course: registration, course description
- Memberships: registration details, membership description/benefits
Requestors and supervisors will be notified of the approval status by memo within one (1) week after the Staff Development Committee meeting.
- Previous activity participation by the requestor.
- Benefits to College and College population including students, staff, and industry.
- Other similar departmental requests to insure equitable distribution of opportunity.
- Regional activity availability.
- Availability of funds.
- Fits within specified criteria of what is covered and what is not.
- Aligns with the individual’s IDP.
- Accreditation/reputation/credibility of the provider.
- Preference is given to Minnesota State institutions.
- Tuition waiver credits must be used first, if available to the requestor.
- Forms and paperwork fully completed and submitted in a timely fashion.
If approved, some additional paperwork may be necessary prior to registering for an event, purchasing flight tickets, etc. Contact your supervisor or the purchasing department to ensure proper paperwork is completed prior to registering or making event-related purchases.
Process for Reimbursement/Payment:
- Documentation of attendance and/or completion must be submitted to Human Resources upon completion of the course or event. Acceptable documentation examples include unofficial transcript, course completion, certificate of completion, session handouts, attendee badge, etc. Human Resources may be contacted with questions regarding appropriate documentation.
- Non-credit activities require submission of an Activity Evaluation Form, which must be completed and submitted to the supervisor within two (2) weeks of the end date of the activity. Supervisors will review and forward the form to the Human Resources office.
- Business Office processes and procedures must be followed for payment and reimbursement. Refer to available documentation in the Business Office section of the intranet Document Center. It is imperative that reimbursement forms be completed and submitted within a specified time, as late submissions may be subject to supplemental tax rates, thus decreasing the reimbursement amount you will receive. It is recommended that all forms
- be completed and submitted within thirty (30) days of each incurred expense. Contact and work with your supervisor and business office personnel for more information and assistance to ensure proper steps are followed.
- Reimbursements will be applied through the payroll process.
- Books, tuition, and course-related fees for approved requests will be refunded back to the employee using the reimbursement process and will not be paid direct to the provider.